Planned Parenthood Action Fund Endorses U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell for Re-election in Washington
PLANNED PARENTHOOD'S STATEMENT ENDORSING MARIA CANTWELL, 8/31/18:
Olympia, WA – Today, Planned Parenthood Action Fund announced its endorsement of U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA) for re-election to the U.S. Senate. Senator Cantwell has served in the Senate since 2001, and served in the House of Representatives prior to that. Senator Cantwell has long been a champion for women's health and privacy, and is an outspoken advocate for reproductive health and rights, including access to safe, legal abortion.
Senator Cantwell has an exceptional record of protecting access to health care. As one of the leading senators to defend Medicaid expansion during the harmful efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act last year, she has proven time and again to be a staunch supporter of every person’s access to health care. Cantwell has continuously fought against every attack on Planned Parenthood patients from anti-women politicians in Congress, and knows that Trump’s Supreme Court pick, Brett Kavanaugh, would swing the balance of the court away from women’s rights. She trusts women to make their own health care decisions, and knows the question of whether and when to have children is best answered by a woman in consultation with her health care provider.
Statement from Dawn Laguens, Executive Vice President, Planned Parenthood Action Fund:
“Planned Parenthood Action Fund is proud to endorse Senator Cantwell for re-election. Senator Cantwell has been a vocal champion for women’s health and rights throughout her tenure in Congress. She has consistently fought to protect the critical care that Planned Parenthood patients receive, including access to safe, legal abortion. Cantwell is committed to expanding Medicaid and bringing affordable health care to more Americans. Cantwell is a tried and true progressive leader, and Washington state residents can count on her to fight for their access to health care and continue to advocate for reproductive rights.”
Statement from Jennifer Allen, CEO, Planned Parenthood Votes Northwest and Hawaii:
“We are thrilled with Planned Parenthood Action Fund’s endorsement of Senator Cantwell for re-election in Washington. Senator Cantwell has been a leader in fighting to protect access to health care, and an outspoken advocate for reproductive health and rights. Over 100,000 patients rely on Planned Parenthood health centers for important, quality care in Washington state, and we rely on champions like Senator Cantwell to stand up and fight for their access to that care. We look forward to sending her back to the Senate come November.”
Statement from U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell:
“I won’t stop fighting to protect women’s health and privacy and defend access to quality, affordable health care. Planned Parenthood health centers have a proven record of keeping families healthy and delivering lifesaving health care, including cancer screenings, birth control, sex education, wellness exams, or so many other services. I am proud to work alongside this incredible organization to make sure all women have access to the care they need.”
Senator Cantwell is a champion for all people and their access to health care. As a senator, she has:
- Fought against Trumpcare – the worst bill for women in a generation – and voted against every version in order to protect health insurance for millions of Americans and preserve Planned Parenthood’s ability to serve patients covered under Medicaid.
- Voted “no” on a resolution aimed at preventing Planned Parenthood and other reproductive health care providers from serving patients through Title X, the nation’s program for affordable birth control and reproductive health care.
- Helped pass legislation to bring affordable health insurance to more Americans.
- Fought back against all efforts to reduce women’s health care and access to contraceptives.
- Led Medicaid expansion during the efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act.
- Called on the Trump-Pence administration to reverse its decision to end the Affordable Care Act’s contraception mandate.
- Voted “yes” on an amendment that would restore federal funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Voted “no” on dangerous abortion bans.